The purpose of the Society is to promote literacy and numeracy in English in Parksville, Qualicum Beach and the surrounding area of Vancouver Island, BC. To do this, the Society will:
- support instruction and help provide supporting materials to adults needing assistance with English literacy and numeracy,
- support volunteer tutors in acquiring the knowledge and requisite skills in tutoring adult learners, and
- collaborate with other organizations, as appropriate, in support of the Society’s purpose.
- We strive to ensure the sustainability and quality of CVIJOBS-The Tutoring Program by helping to support the Program administration, and tutors and learners, both native speakers of English and English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) learners.
- expanding and updating the teaching and learning resources available tutors and learners.
providing additional adult literacy and ESL training to volunteer tutors
- promoting awareness of adult literacy, numeracy and ESL needs in the wider community.
The Parksville Qualicum Adult Literacy Society is a registered charity operating under the Societies Act of British Columbia, Canada. It has approximately 38 voting members and an elected Board of four officers and two directors-at-large.