The purpose of the Society is to promote literacy and numeracy in English in Parksville, Qualicum Beach and the surrounding area of Vancouver Island, BC. To do this, the Society will:
- support instruction and help provide supporting materials to adults needing assistance with English literacy and numeracy,
- support volunteer tutors in acquiring the knowledge and requisite skills in tutoring adult learners, and
- collaborate with other organizations, as appropriate, in support of the Society’s purpose.
Our Immediate Priorities
Our first priority is to ensure the sustainability and quality of CVIJOBS – The Tutoring Program by providing funds for:
- a part-time program assistant to support the coordinator in day-to-day details of administration and tutor and learner support,
- an additional co-ordinator so that one co-ordinator can focus on developing and delivering the adult literacy program for native speakers of English while the other will do the same for ESL learners, and
- additional office space.
Our Longer-term Priorities
In the longer term, we plan to develop and fund additional programs to support the literacy needs of adult learners and the needs of volunteer tutors in our community. This may include:
establishing an English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) language lab,
developing one-on-one tutoring programs in the workplace,
expanding and updating the teaching and learning resources available to tutors and learners, and
providing additional adult literacy and ESL training to volunteer tutors.
The Parksville Qualicum Adult Literacy Society is a registered charity operating under the Societies Act of British Columbia, Canada. It has approximately 60 voting members and an elected Board of four officers and two directors-at-large. The position of Vice-President is currently vacant.